When it rains it pours… After discovering that we have H. pylori in the house, we decided to scrap our Thanksgiving travel plans and stay close to home. Our plan was to celebrate close to home, get well, and perhaps even recover a bit from the recent havoc brought on by a major home renovation. And since yesterday was our youngest son’s third birthday, we figured we could have a nice family birthday party.
The best laid plans
Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans, don’t you? They often go awry. And awry they went this week…
We awoke yesterday morning and decided to go out for a nice breakfast. But as I was lying in bed steeling myself for the day, our five year old stumbled into the room. As soon as I laid my hands on him, I knew he had a fever, and he was also complaining of a terrible sore throat. Given the rapid onset and lack of other symptoms, my wife predicted strep throat.
Unfortunately, our regular doctor was booked solid, and we couldn’t get an appointment until mid-afternoon. We therefore decided to decided to dose him up with both acetaminophen and ibuprofen to get the fever under control and then take him to our local Urgent Care facility for a quick diagnosis. This is the very same Urgent Care facility that erroneously sent one of our bills to a collection agency. It’s also where I went to get stitches in my knee not that long ago. Good times…
When we rolled up, we were pleased to see that there was hardly anyone in the waiting room. Thus, our son was able to get in and out for a quick test. The bad news is that he did, indeed, have strep throat. So from there we headed to the pharmacy
The silver lining
In a somewhat perverse twist of fate, the good news from all of this is that half of our family is already on antibiotics for H. pylori, including a fairly heavy dose of amoxicillin. Thus, while we’re concerned (as always) about his strep infection jumping from one individual to another, three of us are already on the same antibiotics (and then some) that he’s taking to combat the infection, and should therefore be be fairly well protected. Nonetheless, we spent a good chunk of the afternoon wiping down the bathroom, light switches, etc. with disinfectant wipes. We also swapped out (and isolated) their toothbrushes.
Adding injury to insult
As if a strep infection to go along with H. pylori wasn’t enough… The boys set up a game of Monopoly in their new closet (part of our new addition) and had a grand old time playing with each other. For awhile. But then our ten year old came running out into the living room screaming for help. As it turns out, our newly-minted three year old had stepped on one of the Monopoly pieces and got it “stuck in his foot.”
Check out the culprit in the picture below…
See that little chimney? He got that right through the sole of his foot (mid-arch). And it went just far enough in for that fat little nubbin near the top to get stuck under the skin. Ouch! But with a bit of pressure, some Neosporin, a band-aid, some athletic tape to hold it in place, and a few cartoons, he was good to go.
The saga continues
I hadn’t planned on live-blogging this morning, but you know what they say about the best laid plans, don’t you? 😉
As I was just about to finish writing this, our ten year old came charging out of our bedroom with blood running down his chin. It seems that our three year old jumped on him while watching TV, causing him to bite his lip. In truth, it looked worse than it was, but still… Nothing puts the cherry on top of a week like ours quite like a mouthful of blood.