Remember back before you had kids, when weekends were actually relaxing? Nowadays, it seems like weekends around our house are even busier than weekdays. While we try to be sensitive to the possibility of overscheduling our kids (and ourselves), things tend to add up quickly when you have four young’uns. With that in mind, check out this list of nine ways to reclaim your weekends…
1. Attend only one big event per weekend day – ‘Nuff said.
2. Honor naptime – Sticking to your weekday routine can help maintain your weekend sanity.
3. Build more chores into the week – If you piece away at things during the week, there won’t be so much left on the weekends.
4. Outsource whenever possible – In other words, don’t be afraid to hire someone to do the least desirable jobs.
5. Set aside unscheduled family time – Everyone needs time to just hang out every once in awhile.
6. Be more selective about social obligation – You don’t have to say “Yes” to everything.
7. Cut down (or cut out) your kids’ weekend activities – If you’re overwhelmed with extracurricular activities, the only sane solution is to cut down on them.
8. Avoid daylong projects – This isn’t always possible, but if you break big projects into pieces you can avoid weekend-killing marathon projects.
9. Leave work at work – This one is pretty much self-explanatory, though I still need to work on it.
[Source: Parenting Magazine]